Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bangkok Trip: ASCS & Internal training

My last visit to Bangkok was in March 2006, , so I was looking forward for this trip. Thanks to my boss who recommended me for attending 4th ASEAN Society of Colorectal Surgeon and our recertification training.

My flight with Air Asia was at 4.20 PM, so I left house at 12.30 PM with taxi. I didn’t have any problems or felt uncomfortable when I checked in. I even felt excited as starting in January 2009, our government didn’t charge airport fiscal to citizens who have Tax ID. Previously we were charged IDR 1 million whenever we traveled overseas. Now, for those who don’t have Tax ID, fiscal cost IDR 2.5 million.
I hung out at Starbucks for around 1 hour.

When I went inside boarding room, it occurred to me that I was going to fly with Air Asia, which doesn’t serve any meals, and I didn’t bring any food. Air Asia only sell some food on board. Now, the flight to Bangkok usually takes 3 hours. This will be my longest flight time with Air Asia. Usually for me is only 2 hours, either go to Kuala Lumpur or Medan.
I had some fruits in my bag. There were no entertainments in the plane, only airline’s magazine, and not all seats have it.
I bought small mineral water for IDR 12,000. I didn’t have appetite to eat. I was hungry, but Air Asia only sells instant noodle or roated peanut. Can we eat that for dinner? Naaahhh………… So I ate my fruits instead.

After taking a nap for sometimes, I finally landed in Bangkok. I realized there was something new with the airport. It looks so modern.

I took a taxi to go to my hotel. After talking with taxi driver, I found out that it’s a new airport.
It’s called Suvarnabhumi International Airport. The location is further than the previous airport. I needed to pay THB 70 for toll. Taxi surcharge was THB 50, and the taxi fee was THB 395.
I was staying at All Seasons Sathorn Hotel. It’s in Sathorn area, where there are many embassies in that area. I had this awkward feeling when I saw the hotel. It’s a small hotel, small parking lot, I meant small! Had a nice welcome drink. Lift was small, but baggage trolley can fit in there. Narrow corridor with tiles on the wall, feels like walking in a hospital corridor. I think it’s an old building got renovated.

Do you want to know my impression when I arrived in the room? Furniture is modern but there’s nothing fancy, no wall-to-wall carpet, no bath tub, only shower, I needed to ask for hair dryer to their house keeping. Can’t do anything since the whole team was staying in here.
The hotel is operated under Accor Group, and I got complimentary internet connection, that’s I liked….. Room rate was USD 68 and I shared it with my Malaysian colleague.

Anyway…. My room mate wasn’t there. Time was 10 PM, I was hungry. I read the room service menu, wasn’t interesting. So I decided to go to Suan Lum Night Bazaar to get light dinner. The hotel staff said it only takes 10 minutes walk to that place, Lumpini train station is also 10 minutes from hotel. So I walked. It was safe, and weather was nice, not hot. Quite cool, very different to year 2006.
I had beef kebab, papaya salad, and carrot juice. After that, I looked around the shop area. I wanted to buy a wedding gift for my friend. I bought fuchsia bed cover for her, THB 650, opening price was THB 1,200. My land lady asked me to buy her orange scarf, THB 350. The seller offered bed cover THB 799, after discount was THB 750. That’s it, no more shopping. Must save my money.

I walked back to hotel. I’ve informed my boss that I’ve arrived. Went to sleep at 1 AM, my colleague went in at 2 AM while I was sleeping.

No comments: